Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Reader's Notebooks

I finally completed my Reader’s Notebooks today.  I wanted to make tabs to separate the three sections, but I wasn’t sure how to make tabs that wouldn’t be destroyed by my students.  After a lot of thought, I decided to use three colors of card stock to create “dividers.”  After printing information on each sheet, I folded it in half and glued it on a sheet of paper in the composition book. 
The first section is where the students will record notes about the books I read to the class during Reader’s Workshop.  They will record the focus skill and any necessary anchor charts.




The second section is where the students will take notes on the books they read independently in class.  There is also a spot where they can record the AR quiz score they earned.

The last and largest section (half the composition book) is where the students will complete their independent reading assignments and write letters to the teacher about the books they are reading. I have created writing prompts on address labels for each Common Core standard.  The students will place the sticker in their notebooks and then write a response about the book they are reading.

I can't wait to see how these work out in my classroom this year.

7 comments:

  1. Your notebooks look great!! I can't wait to see how you use them :o) I always use a binder but sometimes it gets a little bulky and disorganized. I'm always looking for a better way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I will keep you posted about how my students use them and how they withstand the use of students.
      Lauren

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea on dividing your notebooks! I will definitely use this in reading and science! I'm your newest follower, and I'm a new blogger, too. Stop by and see my blog, if you get a chance.

    Tamberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you'll be able to use my idea for your notebooks. Thanks for following me. I'm your newest follower.
      Lauren

      Delete
  3. I love your reading notebook. Can you post the writing prompts that you have aligned for each common core standard? Or is there somewhere I can purchase them? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your notebooks! I haven't seen them done that way! I am your newest follower! Stop by sometime!

    P.S. Sorry for the previously deleted comment!!

    ReplyDelete

Search

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs